Its about that time again. Whales are starting to gather in southeast alaska, and that means one thing. Its herring time! The winters can be a bit long in Alaska. When the herring arrive, you know it spring again. I’m heading down to Seattle this weekend to bring the F/V Quandary north for the fishing season. Let’s hope that Sitka is a bit more lucrative that last year. Click thru to hear the audio from KRBD.
The board faced a number of proposals to lower catch levels, limit commercial fishing areas, or both. The Sitka Tribe of Alaska and some others wanted further protections for subsistence harvests of herring and their roe.
The board voted down eight of the nine plans before it on Tuesday. The one that passed created subsistence-only zones by closing lucrative commercial harvest areas.
- Sitka Herring Update | Alaska Wing Men Keep Their Eyes On The Prize (juneautek.com)
- Sitka Herring Update | AFDG News Releases (juneautek.com)
- Sitka Herring Update | Massive Upcoming Quota (juneautek.com)
- The “Superbowl of Seining” Hits TLC Primetime. (juneautek.com)
- Sitka Herring Update | 2011 Sitka Conflicts Settled In The Courtroom. (juneautek.com)
- Salmon Seining Hits Primetime! (juneautek.com)
- 1st Commercial Fishing Online Film Festival | Catch the Action Jan 8-14th (juneautek.com)